Cyber security is something that all businesses need to be concerned with. A lot of startup owners mistakenly believe they are immune from the threat of a breach. After all, why would a hacker want to target them when there are bigger fish to fry? Well, it’s quite simple: they see you as an easy target. They know that small businesses do not have the funds to invest in advanced cyber security systems and security personnel. It is a quick payday for them. Unless, of course, you take the steps to implement an effective cyber security plan. Read on to discover some top tips.
- Educate your team – Everyone that works for your business needs to be aware of the steps they should take to protect your company and your data. Did you know that most data breaches occur because of employee error? You need to ensure that everyone is aware of the security policy you have implemented and that they know the role they play in protecting critical company data.
- Use encryption – Encryption is something all businesses need to use. By encrypting your data, you turn it into an unreadable code. This means that if a hacker manages to breach your system, they won’t be able to make sense of the sensitive data that is stored.
- Don’t go for the cheapest security solutions – No matter whether you are investing in a firewall or network segmentation services, don’t cut corners. This is not part of your business whereby you can take a risk on a cheaper, low-quality service. Of course, we know that startups have enough costs as it is, but it is all about prioritizing where your money goes. For more information on where you should be spending your money, click here.
- Make an effort to prevent phishing – Phishing is a huge problem, and cyber criminals are becoming more and more sophisticated with their approach. If you are unaware, phishing is when a hacker will send you an email, yet they will make it appear like it has come from someone you know, encouraging you to click on a link or open an attachment. Once you do this, you grant them access to your computer. It is important to educate yourself and your team on the warning signs to look out for.
- Get organized – Nowadays, businesses have an abundance of data to handle, and one of the main reasons why data breaches occur is because they simply don’t manage their data well. If you don’t know where your data is, how can you protect it? To get control over your data, consider data center networking from iQ Solutions Group.
- Manage passwords effectively – Last but not least, effective password management is a must. Firstly, you should never use default passwords; they need to be changed immediately. Make sure you use a different password for every program, and that the password is difficult to guess. It is a good idea to get all of your employees to change their passwords every few months to boost security.